How to be the GMs favorite!



I have been playing role playing games for just a fraction of my lifetime and I love both playing characters or game mastering. I am not the best of GMs and I am not a saint of a player either.  As a player the balance you control between your real world self and character at the table is often imperfect. I know I talk to much at the table, I often get distracted and have even been known to glance at my phone during game. ( It's usually work related and when other people are focusing attention.)  I would like to say I don't do that anymore.  

I used to think that you was against your GM, that their soul purpose at the table was to try and kill your group but in Fact they are usually the groups biggest champion and here are some reason why:

  1. If you all die the campaign is unsuccessful. Why would a GM go out of their way to make their game fail on purpose.
  2. If a character dies, the player is usually the one to blame.  A GM cannot be held responsible for silly behaviour and its ultimately their job to keep a sense of realism to a game. If you fight a dragon at level 2 you will most likely die a grizzly death. (I know this from my own experience.) 
  3. They want you to get to the end of the game. They have spent a long time creating this story and creating things for you to interact with. If you croke it before the big ending they have been planning for weeks then its not gone the way they thought it would.

I have played with some harsh GMs though in my time. There is certainly a balance between allowing your players freedom to try new/stupid things and killing them outright for any small mistakes. You need to remember it's a learning curve for everyone GM included. Every fresh group of people interact differently, characters sometimes don't merge how you think, work how they should and every session is a heavy weight on the game masters quick thinking and adaptation skills. You as a player need to learn how your game master works, what makes them tick, things that are allowed and what things are punishable. Once you understand the boundaries you can usually work they to your favour. 

Also snacks, drinks and the occasional reassuring thumbs up will always be appreciated. 

Jerrie x

Comments

Popular Posts